The application has been designed to be easily navigated using with a keyboard using the standard keys for your browser. For most browsers the following keys work:
- 'Tab' key to focus on the next link
- 'Shift' + 'Tab' to focus on the previous link
- 'Enter' to activate the currently selected link
Diva Video Player
- All buttons are usable with using the standard keyboard controls - tab, shift + tab and enter.
- When Diva Player has focus these are the shortcuts available:
- Arrow Left or Arrow Right: skips backwards or forwards 10 secs
- M: mutes or unmutes audio (not available on Safari in fullscreen mode)
- F: enter or exit fullscreen (not available on Safari in fullscreen mode)
- K or Space: pause or resume video (not available on Safari in fullscreen mode)
- Home or End: jumps to start or end of video
- 0 - 9: jumps to 0% to 90% mark (not available on Safari in fullscreen mode)
Filter by SportThe “filter by sport” controls can be opened by activating with 'Enter' and then navigated using the arrow keys.
Screen Reader Navigation
- 'H' to cycle forwards through the headings
- 'Shift' + 'H' to cycle backwards through the headings
- '1' to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the next heading on this level)
- 'Shift' + '1' to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the previous heading on this level)
- 'Insert' + 'F6' in JAWS or NVDA + 'F7' in NVDA to provide a list of all headings
- Press the 'Tab' key to proceed through the links or 'Shift' + 'Tab' to cycle backwards through the links.
- 'Insert' + 'F7' to provide a list of all links
- For JAWS 10-12 landmark keyboard navigation in virtual mode is:
- next landmark ';' (semi-colon)
- previous landmark 'Shift' + ';' (semi-colon)
- list landmarks 'Ctrl' + 'Ins' + ';' (semi-colon)
- For NVDA 2011.2 the landmark keyboard combination in virtual buffer mode is:
- next landmark 'D'
- previous landmark 'Shift' + 'D'
- list landmarks (and list/headings) NVDA + 'F7'
- VoiceOver users can navigate a page via landmarks by choosing 'landmarks' in the 'web rotor', then finger flicking up or down will move to the next or previous landmark.
The site is designed to work seamlessly across screen sizes. This makes it possible to use your browser's "zoom" feature to make content larger and easier to read without causing a horizontal scroll bar to appear.
Changing the colour and font of the display
This site does not currently offer alternate colour schemes, however, you can use the controls in your browser to change the size of the text or the colour of the display.
For example, to override website font and colour settings in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the General tab, and then click Accessibility.
Select the Ignore colours specified on web pages, Ignore font styles specified on web pages, and Ignore font sizes specified on web pages check boxes, and then click OK twice.
paralympics.channel4.com aims to provide a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website and in doing so we've been using the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.
- The colour contrast of text conforms to at least WCAG AAA standard.
- There are text alternatives for all non-text content - except for some video and third party content – see limitations below.
- Screen reader presentation of information has been carefully considered and tested.
- Conforming alternative presentation of content has been provided where default presentation may be challenging for some users.
- An alternative video player has been provided which some users will find more accessible.
- A method for switching to alternate colour schemes has been provided.
- Keyboard navigation has been carefully considered and tested - see keyboard controls.
- There is a skip to content link.
- Focused elements are clearly highlighted.
- Section headings are used to organise the content.
- Landmark roles have been employed to help you to navigate each page.
- Moving / autoplaying content has been avoided.
- To help you enjoy this content in a variety of platforms it has been designed to be mobile friendly, and resize for a variety of screen sizes and devices.
Due to certain constraints, we have had to include technologies and features that can cause accessibility issues for some users.
- Video content – While much of the video content is captioned (subtitled) it has not been possible to provide closed captions for all of the video content shown on the site.
- Twitter content – is provided by a third party and is not under our control.
paralympics.channel4.com does not assume responsibility for third party applications.
Let us know if you have difficulties using this site
If you find anything on the site difficult to use please let us know. Full details on contacting us can be found at 4Viewers. Please don't forget to mention that you are contacting 4Viewers regarding the paralympics.channel4.com website.